It is a preview of a analysis report from Enterprise Insider Intelligence, Enterprise Insider’s premium analysis service. To study extra about Enterprise Insider Intelligence, click on right here.
US customers have been “cord-cutting” — or canceling their pay-TV subscriptions in favor of internet-delivered options — since 2010.
The variety of pay-TV subscribers dropped a document 3.4% year-over-year (YoY) in 2017, and the speed of decline is predicted to speed up additional within the coming years. Because of this, conventional media corporations will proceed to see their most vital income stream erode. To compete within the shifting media panorama, conventional media corporations’ enterprise methods should fulfill two targets: extract as a lot income from pay-TV as doable earlier than the chance to take action fizzles out, and taper reliance on pay-TV-related income alongside the best way.
On this report, Enterprise Insider Intelligence will take a look at how massive media corporations are refining their methods to fulfill the aforementioned targets and mitigate the impacts of cord-cutting which can be detrimental to their enterprise. We additionally focus on present shopper conduct developments which can be concurrently driving the expansion of streaming platforms (like Netflix) and decline of linear TV, in addition to actionable insights on how corporations can reply.
Listed below are a few of the key takeaways from the report:
- As customers flee linear TV, they’re spending extra time on digital video companies with ad-free and ad-lite viewing experiences.
- Media corporations are responding by turning into much less reliant on pay-TV income by launching their very own streaming companies.
- Conventional networks are additionally more and more in search of M&A alternatives to realize the assets, expertise, and applied sciences essential to compete with streaming giants.
- Extra media corporations are starting to experiment with airing fewer commercials per hour to reinforce the linear TV viewership expertise.
In full, the report:
- Explains the decline in US pay-TV subscribers in recent times, and the way considerably this decline has diminished the viewership and advert income of high TV networks.
- Outlines the highest elements that customers search for when deciding to subscribe to a streaming service.
- Particulars the highest latest M&A offers between media corporations, and describes how they’ve positioned these concerned to raised compete in opposition to streaming giants like Netflix.
- Gives course on easy methods to finest method reducing advert hundreds on linear TV, and explains why experimenting with airing fewer commercials might be useful for viewership.